New Book

New Book
Buy at website makingandumakng.com
The Making and Unmaking of a Marine is now for sale on makingandunmaking.com where you will find paypal and order forms please check it out.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

So You Support the Troops and Not the War


OK, let's think about this for a few minutes. You say you support the troops but not the war. Have I got that right? Great! I thought that's what you said. So let me just make sure I understand what that means; support the troops, that is.

I was once a troop during the Vietnam War, and I would have seen support as you showing up for me. You would have honored me when I was sent to war to risk my life to keep you safe. You would have followed the war as it progressed to see where I was and how I was doing. You would have written me letters and prayed for my safety. You would have welcomed me home when I got back. And you would have thanked me from the bottom of your heart for standing between you and the enemy.

You then would have asked me what I needed, and how was my health. You would have wanted to know what you could do to repay me for the effort that I put in to keep our country safe. Your primary interest would have been for my welfare. You would have wanted to comfort me from my battlefield fears; you would have asked if you could pay for my medical bills; you would have helped my family when I was gone; and, you would have told me that you honored me for my sacrifice. You would have asked me for forgiveness for not going yourself and you would have offered forgiveness for the killing I did in your name. That must be what you mean when you say you support the troops?

Hey where are you going we just started this conversation? Come on back I want to hear about why you don't support the war.


Larry Winters

3 comments:

Crazyhorse said...

Does anyone really "support war?" I think even the soldiers want to keep peace.... Yes, it is complex to process... And, yes, whether you go to war or not, everyone is enmeshed in the event. The affects of combat spill over on to all of us... I do want to say Thank You to you...

The Making and Un-Making of a Marine said...

crazyhorse
I fear that there are some that "support war" for wars sake, for power, for venting of personal rage. I agree most soldiers want to keep peace, in fact that is their intention in going to war. You are correct the after affects spill for a long time on to all of us often creating the psychological foundations of new soldiers, keeping the wheel of war rolling. I gratefully accept your thank you. Be well Larry

Crazyhorse said...

I came across your blog because I am looking to attend a workshop on PTSD- primarily for combat veterans. I hope you will hold a workshop sometime soon, maybe even at Four Winds Hosp?. Let me know... Anyway, in your post, I hear what you say, and I immediately think about a comment Chris Rock said: "I'm not afraid of Al-Qaeder, I'm afraid of Al-Cracker!" It is an interesting perspective, which, I think, essentially, supports what you have said. Al-Qaeder, Al- Cracker, how ever it morphs, personal rage is a problem, whether it be in this country or overseas... Other thoughts, for what they are worth.. It isn't the soldier who decides to declare war. A Soldier is deployed and expected to do his or her job; he or she essentially has no voice in the matter, yet, the outcome of this decision, puts a lot on the soldier... Anyway,I truly respect those who have put themselves in harms way in order to protect the rights of every American citizen. That is the bottom line with supporting the troops. Thank you Larry, for bringing these issues to the conscious realm, and allowing a safe and civilized discussion on this...