New Book

New Book
Buy at website makingandumakng.com
The Making and Unmaking of a Marine is now for sale on makingandunmaking.com where you will find paypal and order forms please check it out.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Journey's End

I went to NYC today to spend time with my good friend Peter. We had plans to go to the Museum of Modern Art, before getting there Peter spotted the Belasco Theatre and said to me, “My friend Author told me he and his wife saw a very good play called Journey’s End,” its about soldiers in World War I, maybe we could catch a matinĂ©e.”

“Sounds like a great idea,” I said, and we bought tickets.

The play started with the sounds of mortars and bombs going off which caused me to hunker down in my seat. The entire play then unfolds in a bunker at the front lines. The play was written by R.C. Sherriff in 1928. For me the core message of the play was about how men use different strategies to cope with the impossible realities of war. Other than the British euphemisms and dated colloquialisms of the time it could have been in Iraq or Afghanistan to day. One difference that became apparent to me is that in our current Wars there is no behind the lines location like there has been in all our proceeding wars. There simply is no safe place to relax from the fear of death.

The play ended with high volume bombs and mortars and I had to put my fingers in my ears and blow my nose before leaving the theater. The language of war spans all generations, and all combat soldiers speak it.

No comments: